STREETS OF LONDON SLEEP-OUT, OCTOBER 2018
We're very grateful to everyone who took part in the first Streets of London Sleep-Out in October 2018.
Sixty or so people signed up for the inaugural event, raising a fantastic £30,000+ in support of Streets of London's work tackling homelessness in the capital!
It was a chilly night for those sleeping out under the stars in Westminster, but a great friendly atmosphere. The money raised will help to fund homelessness projects across London that give people the support they need to get off the streets for good.
Here's what a few of the sleepers had to say about the experience:
- "It was very cold and uncomfortable but very humbling and I'm so glad I did it. I would definitely do it again and encourage others to get involved. It really makes me appreciate all I have and inspires me to do more. It's heart-breaking that there are people who have to live like this."
- "Although we all understand the sheer volume of homelessness in our city, this was a huge eye-opener and a very difficult and inspiring experience."
- "I’ve definitely gained a lot of empathy. You walk past homeless people, you think for a minute ‘Oh, that’s not nice, homelessness is bad’, but having been out here, you appreciate how long a night is."
- "I came here to educate myself about homelessness. It was good weather conditions and I found it extremely tough, but I can go home now, and be in my bed and be warm. The whole time I was just thinking ‘I can go home and other people can’t’."
- "It was a really sobering insight into what so many people are contending with while living on the streets."
- "I think it makes you realise how miserable it would be to sleep out on your own, and I feel it’s such a small thing you can do to raise awareness and some money for the many homeless people in London."
- "It’s been an incredible experience to have. As people have said, I couldn’t do it every day of the year. It’s insane what people go through."
A big thank you to event sponsor Quandoo for their generous support.
The sleep-out is principally a fundraising event, but people taking part also experience (safely) some of the challenges that homeless people have to face every night. Of course it’s nothing like the reality of being homeless, but it’s an act of solidarity and a great tangible way you can get involved if you'd like to help.
If you'd like to take part in our next sleep-out (planned for autumn 2019) please sign up to our mailing list and when we're ready to announce the details, we'll be in touch.
We hope you can join us!